Lindsay Lohan claimed she was grabbed in a New York hotel room in an argument over mobile phone images (AP/Haraz N Ghanbari)
A 25-year-old man held for assault after actress Lindsay Lohan claimed he grabbed her in a New York hotel room in an argument over mobile phone images was freed hours later and his arrest expunged when the charge could not be substantiated, police said.
Instead, Christian LaBella of California, and Mean Girls star Lohan, 26, were filing harassment complaints with police against each other after they were interviewed about their run-in, law enforcement officials said.
Later, Lohan's publicist Steve Honig expressed outrage that police did not charge Mr LaBella. "We think it's both distressing and outrageous," he said. "Lindsey was assaulted and there needs to be a consequence for that."
Mr LaBella could not be reached for comment.
Mr LaBella was taken into custody about 6am on Sunday after an emergency services call came from the plush W Hotel in Manhattan's Union Square where Lohan apparently activated the fire alarm, the law enforcement officials said.
Former congressional aide Mr LaBella was arrested on a misdemeanour assault charge but released later. The charge could not be substantiated so the arrest would be voided, the officials said.
The paperwork was being completed on cross-harassment complaints, which are considered a violation, and no other legal action would be taken, the officials said.
Lohan and Mr LaBella met hours earlier at a nightclub, though it was unclear whether they previously knew each other, the officials said. They went back to her room, when she noticed the mobile phone photos of her on his phone and grabbed the device, the officials said.
She claimed Mr LaBella grabbed her and threw her, but later he said she had forcefully taken his phone, the officials said. Lohan was injured but not taken to hospital, Mr Honig said.
"Lindsay has spoken with police and is fully co-operating with the investigation," he said after Mr LaBella's arrest.