All Britons safe amid Spanish fires

All British expats and holidaymakers caught up in wildfires in southern Spain have been accounted for, sources say.

Firefighters have been battling blazes in the Costa Del Sol region since Friday morning, and thousands of people were forced to flee their homes.

Military personnel were drafted in to help as planes and helicopters dumped water over the flames near the popular tourist towns of Malaga and Marbella in Andalucia.

The Spanish authorities are now understood to have brought the fires under control, though some patches of flames remain.

Around 300 British nationals were relocated to shelters on Friday, but none stayed overnight in the temporary accommodation.

There were unconfirmed reports that a 78-year-old Briton had been killed, but the Foreign Office said it was not aware of any British casualties.

A spokesman said: "There are no reports that any British nationals have died."

Two Britons were treated in hospital for minor injuries - thought to be smoke inhalation - but they did not stay overnight.

Expat John Taylor, who lives in Calahonda, said the windy conditions made the fire more ferocious than ones that have hit in previous years, but the authorities dealt with them very well.

He told Sky News: "It came through much more viciously on this occasion, and much more frightening for those people on the top of Calahonda in the apartment blocks up there."