Two arrests over New York bomb plan

Two men who attended high school with a terrorism suspect accused of getting training in Pakistan have been arrested, months after federal authorities began investigating them as possible accomplices in a plot to bomb New York City.

Charges against Bosnian-born Adis Medunjanin and Afghan-born Zarein Ahmedzay have not been announced, although they were due to appear at Brooklyn's federal court.

FBI agent Richard Kolko said their arrests were part of "an ongoing investigation" by a terrorism task force.

Ahmedzay and Medunjanin were first publicly linked to the investigation in September, when investigators raided their homes shortly before the arrest of their old classmate Najibullah Zazi, an Afghan immigrant and Colorado airport shuttle driver. Authorities have been watching them for months.

Medunjanin's attorney, Robert C Gottlieb, previously confirmed that investigators had questioned Medunjanin and taken computers and cell phones from his apartment.

Prosecutors said that Zazi - charged with conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction - had recently travelled to a terrorist training camp in Pakistan, and that "others" who have not been named accompanied him on the trip to the country.

Gottlieb said the FBI seized his client's passport on Thursday. The search warrant indicated the passport was sought as part of an investigation into the conspiracy, Gottlieb said.

Zazi has pleaded not guilty to that charge. He is accused of getting al-Qaida training to build homemade bombs to attack New York City.

After the passport seizure on Thursday, Medunjanin apparently became upset and left in his car. While driving erratically, he called police and made threatening comments, according to a law enforcement official. Medunjanin got into an accident and was treated at a hospital for minor injuries. Ahmedzay was arrested overnight while driving a cab in the Greenwich Village area of Manhattan, authorities said.

Gottlieb said the FBI confirmed the arrests on Friday morning, many hours after they occurred. He said he did not know what charges the men faced.