Sir Jimmy Savile could be posthumously stripped of his knighthood if allegations of sexual abuse against under-age girls are established to be true.
Sir Jimmy Savile died at his Leeds home on October 29 last year, aged 84
Knighthoods, like other honours, can be removed after death but it is rarely deemed necessary.
At least ten women have come forward to claim they were abused by the former Radio 1 DJ while they were teenagers.
Scotland Yard are investigating one rape allegation and it has emerged in the past few days that similar claims against Savile were made in the past but dropped because of a lack of evidence.
A government source told the Scottish Daily Record: "To remove someone's knighthood after their death is virtually unheard of, but it is possible.
"It is usually only considered in extreme circumstances, where an individual has been convicted of a criminal offence or officially censured by a professional body."
Meanwhile, the BBC has been accused of covering up for Savile after it emerged a programme into his behaviour was shelved.
A spokesman for the Corporation said: "A number of serious and disturbing allegations have been made over the past few days about the sexual abuse of teenage girls by Jimmy Savile.
"Some of these allegations relate to activity on BBC premises in the 1960s and 70s. We are horrified by allegations that anything of this sort could have happened at the BBC - or have been carried out by anyone working for the BBC.
"We have today asked the BBC investigations unit to make direct contact with all the police forces in receipt of allegations and offer to help them investigate these matters and provide full support to any lines of inquiry they wish to pursue."
The investigations unit is a division of the BBC responsible for security and safety matters within the corporation.
A spokeswoman for Surrey Police said a woman reported an historic allegation of rape on Monday. It was also revealed on Tuesday that Jersey and Surrey police both investigated accusations made against the entertainer about alleged abuse in two children's homes, but decided there was not enough evidence to proceed.
A spokeswoman for Jersey police said: "During the course of the States of Jersey Police's historic abuse investigation, a verbal allegation of indecent assault said to have occurred during the 1970s at the former children's home Haut de la Garenne was received. The allegation was investigated but there was insufficient evidence to proceed."
In 2007, Surrey Police received an allegation of indecent assault that was alleged to have taken place at a children's home in Staines during the 1970s. The force said that the matter was referred to the Crown Prosecution Service for a charging decision but they advised there was insufficient evidence to take any further action.
Newsnight editor Peter Rippon said the current affairs show dropped a story about the allegations against Savile because it "had not established any institutional failure" on behalf of the police or Crown Prosecution Service and not because of pressure from within the corporation.