File photo dated 18/03/10 of former Sun and News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks is expected to lift the lid on her close relationship with the Prime Minister in evidence to the Leveson Inquiry. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday May 11, 2012. David Cameron is said to have texted Mrs Brooks, telling her to "keep her head up" after she resigned from News International last July. It has also been claimed that the 43-year-old former editor sent Mr Cameron more than 12 text messages a day. See PA story INQUIRY Leveson. Photo credit should read: Barry Batchelor/PA Wire
Former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks has been formally charged with phone hacking and will appear in court next month.
Brooks, 44, answered bail at Lewisham police station on Thursday night and will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on September 3, said Scotland Yard.
Six others journalists from the News of the World, including David Cameron's former spin doctor Andy Coulson, have been officially charged and will appear at the same court on August 16.
The seven stand accused of one general charge of alleged phone hacking between October 2000 and August 2006 that could affect as many as 600 victims.
Brooks, of Churchill, Oxford, and Coulson face specific charges of illegally accessing the voicemail of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler.
The other former NOTW staff who face court action are ex-managing editor Stuart Kuttner, former news editor Greg Miskiw, former head of news Ian Edmondson, ex-chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck and former reporter James Weatherup.
In a statement issued last month, Brooks insisted she was innocent, adding: "The charge concerning Milly Dowler is particularly upsetting, not only as it is untrue but also because I have spent my journalistic career campaigning for victims of crime. I will vigorously defend these allegations."
Brooks is already facing three counts of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, linked to the investigation into phone hacking.
She and five others, including her racehorse trainer husband Charlie, who faces one count of the same offence, are due to appear at Southwark Crown Court in London on September 26.