In pictures: the voyage of the Titanic

By MSN UK News ITV/Rex Features
1 of 11 To full screen

Images from the first and only sailing of the passenger liner

The RMS Titanic set sail from Southampton at 12.00pm on 10 April 1912. She was bound for New York, calling at Cherbourg in France and Queenstown (now Cobh) in Ireland. A total of 922 passengers were recorded as coming on board. Shortly before sailing, Captain Clarke from the government's Board of Trade received a report from the ship's captain, Edward J Smith. It read: "I herewith report this ship loaded and ready for sea. The engines and boilers are in good order for the voyage, and all charts and sailing directions are up to date." Click through to relive the Titanic's voyage in pictures.

2 of 11 To full screen

12.00pm, 10 April 1912: the ship leaves Southampton

The Titanic left her berth in Southampton docks precisely on time at 12.00pm. However within minutes there was trouble. Turbulence caused by the Titanic caused another ship, the New York, to break free from her moorings in the docks. The New York began to drift towards the Titanic, and a collision seemed imminent. A tug boat, the Vulcan, rushed across the harbour to bring the New York under tow and avoid a crash, while Captain Smith instructed the Titanic's engines to be put "full astern". The Titanic and New York avoided colliding by a gap of just four feet.

Owen Humphreys/PA Archive
3 of 11 To full screen

The afternoon, 10 April 1912: a passenger writes a letter

The Titanic's first destination was Cherbourg in France. During this leg of the voyage, a letter was written on White Star Line RMS Titanic headed notepaper by passenger Miss Alice Lennox-Conyngham to her nephew Master Alan C Duff. It describes how the liner narrowly avoided collision with the New York. Miss Lennox-Conyngham only sailed on the first leg of the cruise, leaving the ship at Cherbourg.

Action Press/Rex Features
4 of 11 To full screen

6.00pm, 10 April 1912: anchored off Cherbourg

The Titanic arrived outside Cherbourg on 5.30pm. The port wasn't big enough to accommodate the ship, so it waited a little way off shore while two tender vessels, the SS Traffic and the SS Nomadic, fetched and collected the passengers. A total of 274 additional people boarded the ship at Cherbourg; 24 left, including one of the ship's designers, William Wilson.

Action Press/Rex Features
5 of 11 To full screen

6.30pm, 10 April 1912: tender ships at Cherbourg

The SS Nomadic carried First and Second Class passengers, while the SS Traffic carried Third Class passengers and letters. At 8pm the Titanic left the French coast and travelled through the night, heading towards the south coast of Ireland.

Tim Ockenden/PA Archive
6 of 11 To full screen

Evening, 10 April 1912: the menu for dinner

After leaving Cherbourg, the ship's passengers enjoyed their first full meal on board. A lavish menu was on offer, including delicacies such as turbot, whitebait, mutton cutlets, sirloin of beef, roast duckling, fillet of veal and braised ham.

AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth
7 of 11 To full screen

Evening, 10 April 1912: emigrant forwarding order

This pictures shows an emigrant inland forwarding order to the White Star office in New York, and is dated 10 April 1912. It belonged to Charles Asplund, and allowed him safe passage to the United States.

Rex Features
8 of 11 To full screen

Morning, 11 April 1912: the White Star Line pier at Queenstown, Ireland

The Titanic arrived outside the port of Queenstown on the south coast of Ireland soon after 11am on 11 April 2012. The ship dropped anchor in the town's harbour, being too large to sail right up to the pier. As in Cherbourg, tender vessels were used to transport passengers and cargo to and from the Titanic.

Rex Features
9 of 11 To full screen

11.30am, 11 April 1912: Queenstown harbour, Ireland

A total of 113 Third Class and seven Second Class passengers came aboard at Queenstown, while seven passengers left. One of the fireman, John Coffee - a native of Queenstown - hid himself in the bottom of some empty mail bags and managed to smuggle himself off the ship. The press were allowed on board during this stop, and took pictures of the officers' promenade decks.

Rex Features
10 of 11 To full screen

1.30pm, 11 April 1912: leaving the coast of Ireland

On leaving Queenstown harbour, the ship dropped off a pilot at the Daunt Light Vessel. It was its last scheduled stop before New York, and now headed out across the Atlantic Ocean at a speed of around 21 knots (25mph). This photo was the last ever taken of the Titanic from land.

Rex Features
11 of 11 To full screen

12 April 1912

The Titanic's first full day at sea, 12 April 1912, was not without incident. The ship was found to be listing because too much coal was being used on the starboard side. A small fire discovered in one of the boiler rooms, caused by smouldering coal. Several messages were received in the ship's wireless room mentioning heavy ice off the coast of Canada. But then the wireless system broke down and the ship was left without any form of telecommunication. It would take over 24 hours to repair.