Great Britain's Jonnie Peacock celebrates with his gold medal after winning the Men's 100m T44 Final
The mother of Paralympic champion Jonnie Peacock, who lost his leg after contracting meningitis as a boy, has urged parents to be aware of symptoms of the deadly disease.
Linda Roberts, whose son almost died from meningitis 14 years ago, said being able to spot symptoms can save lives.
Her son, who claimed top spot on the podium with the T44 100 metres Paralympic record time of 10.90 seconds, was only five when he contracted meningitis. He was taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge and his parents were warned he was not likely to survive.
Peacock was induced into a coma which saved his life, but his leg needed to be amputated just below the knee because of blood poisoning.
Ms Roberts, who has teamed up with the Meningitis Research Foundation charity, said: "Jonnie was diagnosed with Meningococcal meningitis and septicaemia at the age of five in October 1998.
"His three older sisters Bethany, Rebekah and Hannah had been ill with a virus so when Jonnie had a temperature I thought he had picked up the same bug. But over the weekend his condition deteriorated quickly, he was delirious and then covered in a bright red rash, so I wrapped him in his duvet, put him in the car and rushed to Addenbrooke's Hospital.
"Once they diagnosed Meningococcal septicaemia we were advised to say our goodbyes as his condition was critical and he was induced into a coma to allow his body to fight the infection.
"After four days in hospital the doctors said he was going to survive but they weren't sure how he would be affected physically and mentally. His brain survived but he lost his right leg below the knee and has had four further amputations since his first operation as his bones have grown.
"Everyone needs to be meningitis wise and know the symptoms as it might just save a life."
Meningitis Research Foundation said meningitis and septicaemia affect around 3,600 people in the UK and Ireland every year. They kill one in 10 people who are affected and leave a quarter of survivors with life altering effects. Symptoms include a rash, fever, vomiting, severe headaches, a stiff neck, a dislike of bright lights, drowsiness and confusion.