Footballer's cousin dies on holiday

The cousin of England footballer Jermain Defoe has died in a freak holiday accident on a Caribbean island.

Hannah Defoe, 20, was electrocuted as she dived into a hotel swimming pool in St Lucia, according to reports.

The Tottenham Hotspur striker was on the club's pre-season tour of America when he was told the news and has been allowed to return to the UK to be with his family.

A statement on Tottenham's website said: "Jermain Defoe is to return home from our pre-season tour of the United States after receiving the tragic news of the death of his cousin Hannah Defoe while on holiday in St Lucia.

"Everyone at the club sends their sincere condolences to Jermain and his family and all our thoughts are with them at this sad time."

The Foreign Office confirmed the death, which is believed to have taken place on Wednesday.

An FCO spokeswoman said: "We are aware of a death of a British National in St Lucia. We are currently offering consular assistance to the family."

According to reports, Hannah's mother Janet was taken to hospital after getting an electric shock as she tried to save her daughter.

It is the latest tragedy to strike footballer Defoe, 29.

He was forced to fly home from England's Euro 2012 camp in Poland last month following the death of his 49-year-old father Jimmy from throat cancer. His half-brother Jade, 26, also died in 2009 after falling into a coma following a street attack in east London.