Arnie 'happy to be back in movies'

Arnold Schwarzenegger has said he is "very happy to be back in the movie business" at the premiere of his new film, The Expendables 2.

The Terminator star was joined on the red carpet by co-stars Sylvester Stallone, 66, Jean-Claude Van Damme, 51, Dolph Lundgren, 54, and Jason Statham, 44, in London's Leicester Square for the UK premiere of the action extravaganza.

The film marks Schwarzenegger's first major acting role since he stepped down as governor of California in 2010.

The 65-year-old said: "I am very happy. I was very happy to be in the movie business before, I was very happy to be governor of the great state of California, and I'm very happy now to be back in the movie business.

"That's the great thing about my life - it's like a joyride, going from one thing to the other with great ease, and it makes it fun. It makes life spicy."

Also at the premiere were members of the Royal Navy and medal-winning athletes from America's Olympics team.

Schwarzenegger said: "I think the Olympics is something you all can be very proud of - if you're from Great Britain, that is! You have done an extraordinary job, it's amazing the amount of medals Britain has won. All of it gave me goosebumps even though I'm not from here. Great Britain has pulled together and it just shows you, when you pull together community happens."

It was Stallone's first public appearance since the death of his 36-year-old son Sage last month. He posed for pictures but did not stop on the red carpet.

The film, which is released in cinemas across the UK from Thursday, also stars action heroes Bruce Willis, 57, Jet Li, 49, Chuck Norris, rising star Liam Hemsworth, 22, and Chinese actress Yu Nan as the first female Expendable.

Stallone wrote and starred in the sequel to box office hit The Expendables, which he also directed.